Wednesday, July 1, 2009

shhhhhhh....... it's a secret

I learned a secret this morning when fixing some french toast for the guys and I thought I would share. Fix this and you'll get rave reviews - I did!!

Denny's-Style French Toast
4 eggs 2/3 c whole milk
1/3 c flour 1/3 c sugar
1/2 t vanilla 1/4 t salt
1/8 t cinnamon 6 slcs Texas toast thick bread
3 T butter
Mix eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon. Heat lg skillet, or griddle. When hot, add 1 T butter. If it smokes, pan is too hot. Dip each slice of bread in batter 30 sec each side. Let some batter drip off, put in skillet. Cook each slice 1 1/2-2 min per side til golden.

That's the recipe I got from Recipe Zaar. I wasn't using the Texas toast, only some of the cheap white bread stuff, and I used vanilla soy milk instead of whole milk. I found that with the thin white bread, I needed a little more of the batter because it soaks it up faster - I didn't let it soak for 30 seconds. Also, tip from Shannon who has been a cook, mix the cinnamon with the vanilla before adding to the batter - it keeps it from floating on the top.

If I were a good blogger, I would have taken a picture to post with the recipe, but it was gone before I could think of doing it!!

Try it - and let me know what you think. Or, if I'm really behind the times and everyone but me has been using flour in their french toast batter, like forever, let me know that, too!!

1 comment:

not-so-quiet mom said...

I love french toast -- especially with vanilla & cinnamon -- but I've never heard of putting flour in the batter. I'll have to try it next time.